Friday, August 28, 2009

Broken but Healed by Art & Creativity

broken

With all the losses and other things I've been through the last four years I see the therapeutic benefits and necessity of art, of creating something, anything to let it out. A poem, painting, scribbles, anything. Right after the loss of my brother I literally couldn't think. I couldn't read, I couldn't even watch TV because I couldn't fallow what was going on, it was gibberish. But I could knit. Some may not see this as art but it is creative, it is zen. I find myself looking for my paints or typing away when hit with more stress or pain than I can bear. I feel the need to express it in some way. Cry yes, I needed to cry but I needed other outlets.

Right now I want to paint, I want to write, I want to play with my web designs, make graphics and I will and am and have. Those who are already artist's or creative types know what I'm talking about. You do it too. But those who may not be right brained like us, I encourage you to try it. Find ways to express your pain. It is so healing. There is a reason why the loony bins have arts & crafts, music therapy and tell you to keep a journal. So lets do all that before we need to be locked up! Ok, the last part largely applies to me but it makes sense to do what works for even the worst cases, art and therapy!

What are the ways you deal with great losses or everyday stress? What do you do when you feel broken like I do now?

blogger signature

2 comments:

  1. First thank you for inviting me to your site, I went to boot camp for a week, it changed and saved my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have suffered many losses over the past couple of years and have been feeling powerless, saddened and broken. My son has shared that he releases those feelings through his art and music. I send you healing and peaceful thoughts and thank you for sharing your feelings and thoughts.

    ReplyDelete